1. Declutter Your House & Garage
2. Clean Windows & Screens
3. Give Your AC Unit Some Love
4. Consider UpgradesAs part of your interior spring cleaning, this might be the time to consider leveling up to more energy-efficient options throughout your home. Heating and cooling systems are huge energy consumers, along with appliances like refrigerators and clothes dryers that use a lot of power.
Installing a programmable thermostat and sensors can allow you to adjust your settings based on if you are home or away, which could potentially help you save up to 10% a year on energy costs. Swapping certain appliances out for ones with energy-saving settings or the ENERGY STAR stamp of approval.
5. Spruce Up Outdoor SpacesThe first place to start when you’re outdoor spring cleaning is with the basics: washing, wiping, and sweeping. Wash the front door and trims of any dust and grime, clean off outdoor light fixtures and replace light bulbs. Check the gutters and remove any leaves and debris. Sweep and power wash patios, decks, balconies, and outdoor furniture to prep for that quintessential California outdoor dining and entertaining. As we mentioned in our blog post about sought-after home features, outdoor areas are one of the most coveted so it’s worth all the extra effort to keep it tip top.
6. Reseal & Repair Exterior WoodworkNow is also the time to see if any of the woodwork in your home needs repairs. Wood decks, fences, railings, walkways, and other structures will last longer and stay in better condition if they’re stained or resealed every year or two. Before resealing, give your deck a good power wash if it’s pressure-treated wood or a quick scrub and rinse for composite boards. If you need some extra assistance, local woodworkers like The Wood Doctors can do small touch ups to big repairs!
7. Trim, Tweak & Sow PlantsSpring lawn maintenance is a perfect time to review and revamp your current outdoor situation. Fix loose stonework along walkways and beds, and consider aerating and fertilizing your lawn. Trim back any shrubs or trees so they can have a fresh start while planning and preparing any new garden beds or planters. By April, the soil temperature is ideal for germinating all kinds of seeds and getting transplants growing well so use March as a well worth preparation phase.
Spring cleaning your home thoroughly may never become effortless, but you can make this annual rite of passage satisfying by knowing the pleasure that comes after the work is done. One day or weekend typically doesn’t do the trick, so create a realistic schedule and focus on one task at a time. Enlist the help of others! Print out Martha Stewart’s interior checklist and assign each task to a different friend or family member. The extra love and attention you put into your home will come back tenfold!
Considering a move in the near future? When you list with the Stephanie Younger Group, we will provide you with a tailored plan for updating and staging your home. Using our Compass Concierge program will also enable you to acquire the means to execute it. We will front the costs associated with home-selling improvements and only collect payment for the services rendered at the time of the property’s closing. Your home deserves a YOUNGER look and the opportunity to sell faster and for more money. Contact us today to learn more!